PC Software to Compile/Execute in Console Mode on
The system is configured so that you can edit/compile/execute
with all software on one floppy, which you can easily carry with you to any machine (on or
off campus). Click here for a sample program. The
manual is ec.doc.
Click here for instructions on how to use the
XDB database system. The manual is xdb.doc. The two external types that
are included are string and date.
- Create a temporary directory C:\CS259 on any HARD disk.
- MOVE the file (gold.zip) from your original floppy to the empty directory
(CS259) on your hard disk. THEN DELETE gold.zip on the floppy disk.
- If you don't delete the zip file from the floppy, you'll run out of space.
- [Skip this step if you aren't making a floppy version of the system.] Unzip
(pkzipc -extract gold.zip) on
your hard disk. See www.pkware.com
for a copy of pkzip.
- Insert the original now-empty floppy. Type a: to switch to it and make a directory
entitled cs259 (md cs259). Then create two sub-directories mod and work. Change directory
to mod (cd a:\cs259\mod) and then copy all the files from the hard disk
directory (CS259) to a:\cs259\mod, then delete the space that you used on the hard
- Change directory to a:\cs259\work to do all your programming. READ THE
INCLUDED MANUAL ec.doc.
- To compile a progam in a DOS shell window
- a) the program must have the .cpp suffix e.g. test.cpp
- b) type ..\mod\c35 test.cpp
- c) any errors will be output to a .lst file e.g. test.lst (L S T)
- To run a program in a DOS shell window
- a) the program must have a .obj suffix e.g. test.obj
- b) type ..\mod\r36 test
- c) you can type CTRL-C to terminate a program; CTRL-Z is end-of-file
- To run a windows program
- a) the program must contain #include <Graphics.h>
- b) type ..\mod\rw test
Sample Program (hello.cpp)
The compiler will generate hello.LST if syntax errors are detected; otherwise, the
compiler generates hello.obj (the executable instructions) and hello.rfc (the encoded
symbols in the program). hello.obj can be executed using either the DOS (r36.exe) or WIN
(rw.exe) versions of the runtime.
How to run XDB
- Create a DOS window (START PROGRAMS Accessories
- cd a:\cs259\work or c:\cs259\work
- copy ..\mod\r36.exe .
- copy ..\mod\rdb.hlp .
- copy ..\mod\cstate.sdb .
- type r36 xdb to start the database system
- you should get a command prompt >
- type help; ENTER for a list of commands
- type exit; ENTER to exit XDB
- read the manual in ..\mod\xdb.doc